Important Changes to your Energy Bill
There has been some important changes to your energy bill.
Why does my bill look different?
The Victorian Government has introduced new rules that have required all energy retailers to make changes to the way they display important information on your bill. Energy rates are now shown including GST. As part of these changes, the government has also introduced a basic energy plan called the Victorian Default Offer. The rates set by the government are deemed a fair price for the cost of energy. Your new look bill also includes the GloBird Best Offer.
How can I learn more about the information on my bill?
Your bill contains lots of detailed information, to make it easier to understand, check out this sample bill which highlights and explains each section in plain English.
Why do the rates on my bill now include GST?
Energy bills have always been subject to GST. Before 1 July 2019, energy retailers displayed GST in different ways. Some retailers displayed rates including GST, and some without GST. This made it difficult for customers to compare providers. To ensure consistency, the Victorian Government has asked all retailers to display GST inclusive rates. Our energy rates have not changed; they are simply shown with the GST included now.
What is the GloBird Best Offer?
From 1 October 2019, we’ll regularly include the GloBird Best Offer message at the top of your bill. The offer will tell you if you’re on our best available energy plan based on the way you consume energy. To calculate this we look at your annual usage or an estimate of your annual usage. If we think an alternative plan will save you more than $22, we’ll notify you, and if not, we’ll confirm you’re already on the best deal.
Why is the discount percentage lower than it used to be?
We recently changed the way we structure the prices and discounts of our new energy plans. Instead of having a higher base price and a big discount, we lowered our base rates, and made the discount percentage smaller. In the end, our after-discount prices have not changed – so you’re still paying the same price for energy.
What is the Victorian Default Offer?
The Victorian Default Offer is a basic energy plan with prices set by the Victorian government. The rates are deemed a ‘fair price’, but not the best price you can pay for energy. The offer acts as a safety net for those who haven’t shopped around, it basically caps ‘standing offer’ rates, which are default rates that don’t have discounts applied.
Who benefits from the Victorian Default Offer?
The Victorian Default Offer was introduced primarily to eliminate expensive standing offers for the 9% of Victorian customers on a standing offer with their retailer. The other 91% were on ‘market offers’ that are generally more affordable. If you were with a large retailer for many years and you weren’t getting a discount you might be on a standing offer. GloBird is proud to say that over 99.9% of our customers are on a market offer.
Is the Victorian Default Offer best for me?
If you’re already with GloBird Energy, then it’s very likely your existing market contract is far better than the Victorian Default Offer. Feel free to call us on 133 456 so we can help you compare rates. After all, we want to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
Can I switch to the Victorian Default Offer?
You can switch to the Victorian Default Offer by contacting your existing retailer and asking for it. Before you do that, compare the offer with your current plan so you know you’re getting the best deal.